Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, July 16, 2005

"Half-Blood Prince" Speculation

I'll make it in white text so that if you're of a mind to read the book, you can come back here after you're done and see if you agree.


My speculation is that Snape is not in fact evil. Over and over again, for five books, we have heard that Dumbledore trusts Snape completely, and the reason offered to us in this book is flimsy stuff indeed. I think it is not the real reason. I think we will find out the real reason.

I also think that we will find that Dumbledore planned for the possibility of his own death, possibly even his own death at the hands of Snape. We know that Dumbledore knew that Draco lacked the sack to actually kill him. We can assume that, if Snape was still informing for Dumbledore, Dumbledore knew about the plot and that Snape had taken the Unbreakable Vow to help Draco. That might account for the urgency with which Dumbledore takes Harry under his wing at the beginning of the book, as well as the private lessons.

Dumbledore has never failed to think five steps ahead of anyone else, and there's really no reason to believe that he suddenly stopped doing so between books 5 and 6. In fact, it may be that the whole thing was a ruse to turn the entire Malfoy family, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for confirmation on that one.


If you want to reply, email me.