Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Blood Pressure Tip Of The Day: Don't Drink Sunny Delight

I've been REALLY thirsty lately, partly because I've been stuck with this really annoying cold and partly because our house tends to be dry. At work, I down a 32 ounce cup of water every morning, but it hasn't really been enough. By early afternoon, I'm parched again.

Now, I'm lazy. I admit it freely. The water cooler is farther away from my office than the (free) soda machine is, so I've been hitting up the machine in the afternoons instead. There's a bunch of different sodas, and there's Sunny Delight. On the theory that something that bears a vague resemblance to fruit juice would be better than a soda (and because I really don't like soda), I've been choosing Sunny D. Good choice, right?

WRONG.

Among other things (and I choose to just ignore the high fructose corn syrup), each can of Sunny D has 180 mg of sodium. That's FIVE TIMES as much as a Diet Sprite. That's more than a bag of potato chips. That's a LOT of frickin' sodium, considering that we're talking about juice. It's about as much sodium as you'd get in the equivalent amount of milk, but I expect milk to have sodium. Not juice. (By contrast, a cup of orange juice has 2 mg.)

To make it better, or worse, I found a statement from CSPI about Sunny D.

I resolve from here on out to make the trek to the water cooler.

1 Comments:

  • Hate on Sunny D as much as you want, but don't believe everything CSPI says. Lies, damn lies, and statistics... (says the guy that works for a big food company)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home