Strange Brouhaha

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

This Is What I Do To Stay Sane

I visit this vast clearinghouse of online information about Alexander the Great. Even if you barely know who he is, visit the site. It's worth a look. Start with the clickable "Alexander's Character," or "Death," or "Friends and Enemies," or the links about Oliver Stone's poor movie, which in my opinion was unfairly judged only by its bad parts. (There were just as many good ones, and it was a hell of a lot more ambitious than most of the other crap out there. Stone should have at least gotten points for trying.)

I don't know why this site comforts me after I've had too much of the disasters in the world. Maybe because all these things happened so long ago. It puts things in perspective. And they had different problems then, so it's an escape. And you learn a lot. I especially like the extensively-linked work of Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman. Her webpage about Hephaistion is particularly informative and fascinating--witty too--and I know Alexander would be pleased to see Hephaistion getting the credit he deserves.

Highly recommended.

1 Comments:

  • (blush)

    Thank you for the kind words.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home