Strange Brouhaha

Monday, September 05, 2005

Fellow musicians...

...not that I necessarily always feel deserving of the title, mind you, but do you find that playing before bedtime helps you sleep or totally wires you? I've been monkeying about with Reason (an "adapted" version, mind you--the full version would be cool!) just to get a better sound out of my keyboard. As I write this, I've been playing for an hour and far from being wiped, I feel like playing some more. I'm just sitting here listening to the stuff I recorded.

I don't know how you guys feel, but I enjoy listening to my own stuff; whether it's any good at all is kind of irrelevant. If nothing else, it makes good background.

Actually, I suppose the question can apply to any creative endeavor that doesn't take forever to set up and tear down. (To use Reason, I simply plug my USB MIDI interface into my computer and turn off "Local Control" on my keyboard.) It's probably a really dumb question; of course creativity energizes you. What do you guys think?

2 Comments:

  • (Fj) Creativity energizes you, and in some cases, vice versa. When your daughter comes home with a creation from school, and can't wait to show it to you, she's energized! Your acceptance of her creativity keeps her creative energy going.Generally, your energy to create comes from acceptance. You like what you did. You "accepted" what you did. You want to do more.

    Now multiply that by one million of your books sold, or your songs sold. Or, your photograph was just purchased by the Guggenheim. Do you now want to write another book, take another picture? Of course. Is that energy greater than creating for your own pleasure?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:49 AM  

  • (Josh) - I generally don't get the benefit of hearing what I just played, but whenever I come home from playing, be it rehearsal or a show (where I could be cruising in at 3 a.m. with work the next day), I always need to wind down before I can hit the hay.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home