Strange Brouhaha

Thursday, November 03, 2005

I love my iPod

(Yes, I should be writing something else.)

In my capacity as a private citizen, I want to say something that I don't say often enough: I frickin' love my iPod.

Right now, I'm listening to the Beatles' "The Beatles." You know, "The White Album." I don't know how many times I've listened to it over the years--it's a lot--but this is probably the first time I've listened to the whole thing on the iPod. I'm hearing stuff on every track that I swear I've never heard before: instrument detail, mumbled vocal parts, just...stuff. The bass on "Helter Skelter," way over on the left, I actually *hear* it, as opposed to just getting a general impression of its presence.

Yeah, part of it is that in the past, I've listened to it through stereo speakers and not headphones. MP3s are not particularly detail-revealing, since MP3 is, you know, lossy and all. However, the iPod is in the right place at the right time--and I am willing to swear that for whatever reason, the same MP3 doesn't sound nearly as good if I play it through iTunes on my iBook. Maybe it's the headphone circuit or something. Who knows?

I love my iPod.

5 Comments:

  • I've probably mentioned it before, but The Beatles is the only album I've owned on 8 track, cassette, vinyl, CD and now MP3.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 AM  

  • (MattK) The only album that I have owned in 8-track, cassette, vinyl, CD and then ripped to MP3 is Pyromania.

    Feel free to make fun of me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:54 AM  

  • Not me; I think Pyromania is a classic. I don't own it, but I love it.

    By Blogger Savannah, at 9:35 AM  

  • I said a-welcome-a to my shooooo!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:03 PM  

  • Ha! That was exactly what prompted me to write this entry!

    By Blogger Robert, at 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home