Strange Brouhaha

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Well, what's been going on?

Blogger/blogspot has had some downtime over the last couple of days, so I haven't been able to post. Naturally, I've forgotten everything I've wanted to post. That's probably not exactly a bad thing. Here are some quick hits...


  1. I have learned more about Eva Longoria than I ever wanted to know. It made me vaguely ill to see the "I'm the love teacher," "No, wait, HE'S the teacher!" articles over the past week or so. It makes me queasy just typing about it. Whoever this Longoria person is, she can feel free to shut the hell up. TMI!


  2. Prince's new album, 3121, is not worth listening to. How he got that incredible live performance of "Fury" from what's on the record is a mystery to me. The songs are all slow, pointless, and feel like mishmashy sludge. I doubt I'll be listening to it again. Good thing it was only ten bucks. I didn't really want "Musicology II," but I didn't want "Rainbow Children II" either.


  3. The Supreme Court said the other day that if a police request for a search is denied, a second party cannot immediately give authorization to search. (Specifically, IIRC, police asked a man suspected of cocaine posession if they could search his house [without a warrant]. He said they could not. His wife then--in his presence--gave them permission and showed them where he kept his stash.) Now, to me, this is a no-brainer: the most-restrictive answer should apply. I mean, the guy was standing right there! The argument from the dissenting side that it would interfere in domestic violence cases is bullshit: somebody screaming "Help!" gives police the right to enter, doesn't it? Oh, and surprise, surprise, Roberts was one of the dissenters who wanted to just give the police the right to search homes without permission. Perhaps someone smarter than me can explain why anyone could think that this wasn't a Fourth Amendment issue. Besides, come on, if they still want to cheat, there are ways. The guy was RIGHT THERE, saying "No."


  4. The South Park season premiere was great. Here's Kyle's eulogy, reprinted from the Times online:

    “A lot of us don’t agree with the choices the Chef has made in the last few days.... Some of us feel hurt and confused that he seemed to turn his back on us. But we can’t let the events of the past few weeks take away the memories of how Chef made us smile . . . We shouldn’t be mad at Chef for leaving us. We should be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his brains.”



  5. George W. Bush is still a moron. I'd offer up a shred of proof, but honestly, if you just go to CNN.com or Google news or wherever, you'll see a story about Bush and any story about Bush, from any source, will be proof enough.


  6. Mythbusters proved that the soda bottle jetpack was dangerously false, and indeed, it looks here like the guy is on a wire of some kind. Plus, bellyflopping from that apparent height would have to be quite injurious, wouldn't it?


  7. I heard this one the other day: A woman walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the bartender gives her one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home