Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year!

A happy, safe, and proseperous new year to all of you from all of us here at Strange Brouhaha. Last year certainly had its ups and downs, didn't it?

I always loved celebrating the new year when I was growing up, possibly--possibly, I say--more than Christmas. I loved it for one simple reason: BLOWING STUFF UP. We would always have tons of fireworks, and my cousin Trevor and I would try and come up with new and innovative ways to set them off, combine them, and generally just make noise. Yeah, yeah, gathering with friends and family, blah blah blah BLOWING STUFF UP. Those were the days.

Of course, here in Wisconsin, there's none of that. It's not that it's too cold outside, because it's never too cold to blow stuff up, but rather it's that setting off fireworks is not precisely what you'd call "legal" in Wisconsin. You can get in trouble for setting off one firecracker, let alone the multiple strings of 10,000 that you need to do it right.

So, new year's greetings to all and sundry. I hope you had the celebration you wanted.

3 Comments:

  • (Josh) How is that possible? Back in the days before The Governing Body, when fireworks were illegal in our fair state, everybody went over to Wisconsin to get them. You can get them, you just can't use them?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:27 PM  

  • Yeah, pretty much.

    Fireworks are regulated at the local level, I think. They're certainly not legal around here--the most we can do is wave sparklers. I think statewide, the good stuff (stuff that flies!) is illegal to use and buy. Just like you, we have to seek out another state to buy illegals.

    By Blogger Robert, at 1:08 PM  

  • (Matt) I buy them on my way back from Kansas (visiting the in-laws) while passing through Missouri in June. Then on the 4th I go to my friend Brian's place, which is 9 acres outside of Sparta -- and shoot those suckers off! Been doing it for three years now, and it's a blast!! (Pun intended)

    Back in high school I used to buy them through the mail from Tall Paul Inc. UPS would deliver them with a big orange Explosive Class C sticker on the box. That was still the best.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home