Strange Brouhaha

Friday, March 11, 2005

R.I.P. julius

Here's how I remember it, anyway.

When I started my current job, we only had one Unix host of any stripe on which we could do testing. There were actually two Solaris machines in the building, but TPTB were understandably hesitant about having us do any large-scale testing on production machines. (Now that I think about it, maybe we had two testing machines as well.)

At the School District, I had had good experiences with Linux and AIX, using the latter, eventually, to serve up router traffic analysis with MRTG. I wanted a more modern, faster Unix machine. Lotsa luck--I ended up with a Pentium 133 with 32 MB RAM.

Good enough for Linux.

A perfect Slackware platform, that little machine was one of my main development and testing boxes for almost four years. It saw very little use over the last two, and maybe it got lonely or something, because today, julius died. Pages of disk errors, and a really loud grinding noise on reboot. So long, buddy.

1 Comments:

  • (Matt) First Sandrock, now Julius? Time to leave!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home