Strange Brouhaha

Monday, May 30, 2005

Will I Never Learn?

You may recall a while back I posted a little bit about having lost a few days' work to accidental deletion. I titled it Today's Lesson Learned, but apparently it was never actually learned. I was testing out an Eclipse plugin tonight for working with LaTeX files. It's a pretty good plug called Texlipse. There are a few flaws, and it really needs its own Eclipse perspective (they're working on it), but it seems to work pretty nicely.

I was rearranging some of my source files from within Eclipse, using the Refactor command to move files around. I accidentally moved some files into my main playwriting directory. No problem, right, just move 'em back out. Moved 'em out. Went to the command line to delete the old files, went back to Eclipse to delete the duplicate project.

Oops.

I have now lost every single play I have written since I made the transition from writing on a desktop machine to writing on my laptop. There is no backup. I have hardcopies of exactly two of several dozen works.

I am a fucking idiot.

It is one a.m. I have spent the last three hours trying to recover the data, failing miserably, and wishing I was dead.

Words fail me.

2 Comments:

  • (Fj) Someday, someone will buy your "old" laptop at a garage sale. He will give the antique to his son who will somehow extract your unpublished plays. The father will have them published as "The Lost Works of Robert Jahrling" and become an instant billionaire.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 AM  

  • Oh, man. There are no words to respond to that level of suckage.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home