Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Giving back, in a small way

Over the years, I've read quite a few books provided online by the folks at Project Gutenberg, who scan and post public-domain texts. It turns out that it's a tremendous amount of work to get this done because, among other things, they need to proofread scans after they've gone through OCR and been converted to plain text.

When I found out that proofreading is now done under the auspices of Distributed Proofreaders, I figured I'd check it out. I encourage you to do so as well. If you like the idea of being able to read books at no charge, then spending 10 or 15 minutes a day proofreading a couple pages should be easily justifiable. It's fun, too. (Of course, I say that as a complete dork who thinks proofreading really is fun.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home