Strange Brouhaha

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Great Ending!

I recently bought a deeply discounted boxed set of games which included Black & White (which I hated when it first came out, but wasn't so bad this time around), Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (scariest D-Day ever--er, second scariest, because I'm sure the real thing was just a *wee bit* scarier), Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (utter crap) and Freedom Fighters.

I just finished Freedom Fighters. See, the backstory is that the Soviets went live with nukes first, nuked Berlin to end WWII, and proceeded to take over Europe. As the game opens in the near future (the game is old enough that "near future" is actually "recent past" for us), the Soviets have taken South America and launched an invasion of the U.S. It's a pretty good setup for a video game.

You play a plumber-turned-soldier fighting to take back New York from the Red Army. (Actually, it's kind of funny; you and your brother are plumbers. I half expected to hear "It's a-me! Mario!") It's a pretty standard shooter, obviously a console port. There's nothing really special about it: run around, kill the enemy, rescue your friends. The "squad tactics" portion is almost nonexistent.

Anyway, I just wanted to talk about the great ending. You win, take back New York, and get the hot-chick-leader-of-the-Revolution. The wimpy, whiny sidekick whines. The computer reboots.

Yes. The computer reboots.

FANTASTIC ENDING!

2 Comments:

  • I borrowed MoH: Allied assault from Kevin back in the good ol days. I remember really liking it. The beach assault (although mostly scripted) and the sniper in the bombed-out city scenes are still memorable.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

  • Yeah, MOHAA is really the jewel in the crown here. I think I liked Call of Duty better, but like I said, the D-Day portion is really good. The first time I played it (back in the day) I was shaking and sweating by the time I reached the beach.

    By Blogger Robert, at 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home