Strange Brouhaha

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Icelandic Food

I read this article on foods from Iceland in the New York Times (register etc etc) with some amusement. I have two questions:


  1. What in the world would be inherently objectionable about lamb smoked over dried sheep dung?

  2. What do puffin dolls have to do with strips of smoked puffin?



For the first question, I understand that with dung in the equation, food automatically becomes objectionable. However, much like the parents in the movie "Parents", can't you just dodge the question? You know, just say it was smoked lamb? No need to say what it was smoked with. (For the record, I'd eat it, I don't care. It's just smoke.)

On the puffin question: children have cow dolls, and eat hamburgers. Children have pig dolls, and eat pork chops. Children have chicken dolls, and eat Chicken McNug...well, I'm not sure what that actually has to do with chicken, but you get the point. (Note to McDonald's lawyers: I love Chicken McNuggets and am fully aware that they contain actual chicken.)

If you haven't seen "Parents," consider it. The dodge I spoke of earlier was "What was it before it was leftovers? Leftovers-to-be." You'll understand when you see the movie.

6 Comments:

  • It seems inherent that poo particles would get smoked into the food, just like using hickory chips to get hickory flavor. You can have your sheep dung surprise. I'll eat food cooked with something slightly less objectionable. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:32 PM  

  • It seems inherent that poo particles would get smoked into the food, just like using hickory chips to get hickory flavor. You can have your sheep dung surprise. I'll eat food cooked with something slightly less objectionable. :) :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 PM  

  • I wouldn't want to eat a charcoal briquet, but charcoal-grilled meat is tasty.

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:51 PM  

  • I wonder why that posted twice. In any case, my point is that if you're eating charcoal-grilled meat, you're eating minute particles of charcoal. If you're eating poo-grilled meat...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:11 PM  

  • I'm still not convinced that it's all that bad. It's not like it goes straight from the source into the fire. The *thought* is gross, but humans have been cooking over burning dung for a long, long time. Wouldn't the heat kill off anything dangerous?

    By Blogger Robert, at 10:39 PM  

  • Dangerous, yes. Icky, no.

    And, of course, it's not like a lot of the meat we buy commercially doesn't have poo in it anyhow...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home