Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Kablooey!

It's raining and thundering outside today, with the occasional flash of lightning for good measure. This afternoon, while Lani and her friend were playing and I was typing away, I heard a loud *SNAP!* followed by a crack of thunder that sounded like it was in the room with us.

"What was that snap?" I asked.

The girls shrugged.

"Are you guys okay?"

They nodded. I took a quick look around. It had sounded electrical, but my iPod was hooked up to the stereo and still functioning. Everything else looked fine. The power, obviously, was still on. I looked nervously at my iBook, which was plugged into its adapter. Since it was fully charged, I unplugged it, locking the barn door after the horse escaped. There had been no howl of outrage from upstairs, so I figured that the computers up there were fine.

Around dinner time, the girls were eating in Lani's room and Savannah and I settled down to watch some TV. I wanted to know what time it was, so I did the easiest thing: I looked at the clock on the VCR.

Hmmmmmm. No clock on the VCR.

I guess I know what the snap was.

It's interesting, though: it's plugged into a spike protector, it's not the first device plugged into it, and everything else in the whole house is okay. I'd like to know why the VCR was the only thing to go?

Fortunately, with Black Friday coming up, it's a great time for the thing to have died. I'm hoping that at least one retailer will have a DVD recorder on sale for cheaper than the price of a VCR--maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but the cheapest VCR I've been able to find online was about $68, which is honestly more than I want to spend on something we use at most once a month, if even that. It's only $22 less than the cheapest DVD recorder I saw. (Don't tell Savannah, but we need a new DVD player anyway, so we might as well get a recorder.)

I'm not eligible yet for a discount on products from my new employer :(

(P.S. Yes, I should be writing something else. My profile now has a novel excerpt attached to it. Read it soon, because I'm going to change it. By tonight, I should be all caught up, and maybe even a little ahead. At this point, NaNoWriMo is 1/6 of the way done.)

Update: According to the NaNoWriMo, 10,002 words by the end of Sunday is "on pace." I will be past that by this time tomorrow.

3 Comments:

  • TiVo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 AM  

  • Yeah, but I'm not paying thirteen bucks a month. There's just not that much TV that I want to watch.

    By Blogger Robert, at 9:44 AM  

  • (MattK) Once you have TiVo, you never go back baby!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home