Strange Brouhaha

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Pivot questionnaire

Because I can't come up with anything more interesting than this, I've decided to post my answers to the Pivot questionnaire that James Lipton uses on Inside the Actor's Studio. I think it's a trick that the desperate use in situations like this. Well...I'm desperate.

Also, the drive home made me think of it. Sir F. Crisp and I have seen a girl in a sandwich board standing outside the Boston Market every day this week; she's advertising some chicken special. I was thinking that that would be my answer for the "what profession would you not like to attempt" question.

Here goes...


  • What is your favorite word? As I've probably remarked before, the hands-down answer is defenestration. It's so cool that there's a word for that.

  • What is your least favorite word? I assume here that it has to be a word that you'd hear in everyday conversation, and that "word" doesn't mean "phrase". Given that, I'd have to say that my least favorite word is one that I overuse: really.

  • What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Gravitas. For example, I'm a sucker for the cliched "slow-mo backlit walk" that they use in action movies when the heroes are striding towards the final battle.

  • What turns you off? "Transgression" for its own sake, just to say "Ooh, look, we're so naughty!" Transgression with a point is good; someone saying "dildo" just to get a reaction is lame.

  • What is your favorite curse word? Gotta go with the twelve-letter classic: motherfucker.

  • What sound or noise do you love? The THX sound. Seriously. Especially when the bass kicks in.

  • What sound or noise do you hate? The sound of a Viva paper towel being dragged across ice. Try it sometime.

  • What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? It's tought to pick just one. If I was younger, chef or baker. If I was a better "people person," priest. If I was more patient, English teacher. If I was more talented, musician or fashion designer.

  • What profession would you not like to do? Despite the fact that being that girl outside the Boston Market would suck, I would much rather do that than anything that Mike Rowe does on the show "Dirty Jobs". Sewage treatment plant worker springs immediately to mind.

  • If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?"Hey, glad you're here. You did okay back there. Not the best, but not the worst. And I've got good news: Rick Berman didn't make the cut, so we've got decent Star Trek."



That's it. What's yours?

5 Comments:

  • 1) Favorite word: I like defenestration too.

    2) Least favorite word: Argyle.

    3) Turns me on creatively, spiritually or emotionally: The shiver down the spine. When someone pushes out of the ordinary. Oliver Stone being bugfuck insane, Angelina Jolie being bugfuck insane, David Bowie being so cold it burns. The x-factor. The ghost in the machine.

    4) Turns me off: Rigidity.

    5) Favorite curse word: Fuck.

    6) Sound or noise I love: Rain.

    7) Sound or noise I hate: Screeching.

    8) Profession other than my own that I would like to attempt: actor. (And just once, I would like an actor on ITAS to *say* "actor," just for the laugh.)

    9) Profession I would not like to do: Where do I start? Daycare provider. Lots of those under-threes scream and cry when their parents leave them. I could not take that day in and day out.

    10) If heaven exists, what would I like to hear God say when I arrived at the pearly gates: I love you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 PM  

  • 1) Favorite word: Lugubrious.

    2) Least favorite word: Chubby.

    3) Turns me on creatively, spiritually or emotionally: A sense of humor.

    4) Turns me off: Condescension.

    5) Favorite curse word: For fuck's sake.

    6) Sound or noise I love: The meow/purr a cat makes you're in the dark and it wants to make sure you know it's at your feet.

    7) Sound or noise I hate: The high pitched squeal a little girl makes seemingly randomly for joy, fear, anger, pain, etc...

    8) Profession other than my own that I would like to attempt: Chef.

    9) Profession I would not like to do: Child care.

    10) If heaven exists, what would I like to hear God say when I arrived at the pearly gates: Now who's the asshole, smart guy?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 PM  

  • 1) Favorite Word: Vacation. Because I could use one right now.

    2) Least Favorite Word: Like. Like you know how much like we use the word like in everyday conversations?

    3) Turns me on creatively, spiritually or emotionally:
    Seeing someone unexpectedly do a good deed. Such as the cop who turned on his flashers to let a family of ducks cross the street.

    4) Turns me off: Self-centeredness.

    5) Favorite curse word: Shit

    6) Sound or noise I love: waves on the beach.

    7) Sound or noise I hate: nails on a chalkboard.

    8) Profession other than my own that I would like to attempt: Professional Athlete

    9)Profession I would not like to do: I'd have to go with sexing a Chicken - Mike Rowe, "Dirty Jobs". YUCK!!

    10) If heaven exists, what would I like to hear God say when I arrived at the pearly gates: WELCOME HOME.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 PM  

  • dpb: Oh, you are desperate. But I’m game.

    • What is your favorite word? .Favorite word? I dunno. There are so many. Most used word: Interesting.
    • What is your least favorite word? Uh. Our President’s favorite!
    • What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? .Women with full, deep voices, men with a clear, crisp tenor voices.
    • What turns you off? Midwest goodbyes. When you get up to leave, leave ferchrissake.
    • What is your favorite curse word? the brit combo—Fucking Hell.
    • What sound or noise do you love? The sound of a well thrown baseball, hitting the sweet spot of a mitt.
    • What sound or noise do you hate? The THX sound. It’s so hackneyed, and why is it so loud?
    • What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Pilot. Or maybe a crane operator. Wouldn’t that be cool—for about a half hour?
    • What profession would you not like to do? Janitor at a ballpark.
    • If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “Here so soon?”

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:42 PM  

  • The THX sound is mathematically interesting :P

    THX has some info on "Deep Note".

    By Blogger Robert, at 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home