Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sleepy Music meme

Speaking of The Meme List, here's one from The Music Memoirs. It's "Take Me Back Tuesday" from the week of August 8th.


What music is most likely to put you to sleep?

Name a few sleep related songs.

If one famous musician could sing you to sleep, who would it be? And what song would he/she be singing?

What songs could produce nightmares if you listen to them before bed?


1. Side 2 of "Into the Gap" by Thompson Twins never fails to put me to sleep. I would always, always fade out around "Storm on the Sea". That's not to say that the songs are bad, or boring, because they're not--it's just that something about side 2 makes my brain turn off. I could never listen to it while driving. Maybe it's the high-pitched instrumentation. Or maybe it's Joe Leeway. I dunno.

2. "Asleep" by The Smiths, hehe. (I say "hehe" because, if you've never heard the song, it's actually about something a little more final than sleep. Typical joyful Morrissey stuff.) "Enter Sandman" by Metallica. "Moonshine Lullaby" by Irving Berlin, from "Annie Get Your Gun".

3. I'm cheating on this one and naming a bunch and some of them aren't famous and I don't care. Natalie Merchant could sing pretty much anything and I'd be happy. Amy Grant, something simple. Rod Stewart, something from "The Great American Songbook" (volume one, of course). Deborah Gibson, anything. Judy Garland, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Honestly, there are so many "wow, what a voice!" choices to make. On the lesser-known and unknown side, while I hesitate to name people who I know (it's so creepy--"you can sing me to sleep!"), I have to say that Tracy Comer has a great voice. Maybe I wouldn't have her sing me to sleep. She could open for Natalie Merchant, maybe. I would love to hear Kathy Henson sing again. Ditto for Noelle Welch. (I sang in the Grinnell Singers with them. They were always fantastic. Especially Kathy, who is the only person whose performance ever moved me to actual tears. In a good way, that is.)

4. "Hey Joe," as covered by Seal. Seal is a pretty dispassionate singer; even when he really opens up, he's kind of reserved. It's really eerie to hear him sing a murder ballad in that detached way of his. "Dead Skin Mask" by Slayer, especially if you're dropping off right at the end there: "Mr. Gein, let me out. This isn't fun anymore!"

1 Comments:

  • The nusic that used to put me to sleep is the same music that would now give me nightmares. During a really, really, really bad time in my life, I used to put the radio very softly on a deeply cheesy 70s easy listening station at night. The sound of that music, especially Olivia Newton-John's "I Can't Wait," became infused with the creeping badness I felt, and now I can't think about it without shuddering.

    I would want Johnny Cash to talk-sing me to sleep.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home