Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Polling place humor

I went to vote today, on my way home from work.

One of our neighbors was working at the polling place. I don't know how they do it where you live, but here there are two people who each check your name against the list of registered voters. I gave my name to the woman who was not my neighbor, and dutifully spelled it out. My neighbor said, "He's the father of that very tall, beautiful girl who was in here."

"Well," said the lady. "I can see where she gets the tall from!"

I said, "And the beautiful!"

They both just laughed. My neighbor handed over the little ticket that means "give this person a ballot." It's the kind of process that makes a lot more sense if the place to pick up the ballot is more than a step to the right, but I'm sure there's some kind of well thought-out reason behind their not being able to just hand me a ballot and cut out the middleman.

Anyway, the middleman--another nice older lady--said, "Were you flirting with those two ladies?"

"No," I said, "I was just trying to get them to admit that my daughter gets 'beautiful' from me!"

She just laughed, too.

I would have liked to take it a bit further with the mock outrage, but there were people stacked up behind me.

2 Comments:

  • She DOES get her beautiful from you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 PM  

  • Little humanizing encounters like that make it worth leaving the house.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home