Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, February 09, 2008

What was the topic again?

Mad Kane's Haiku and Limerick Prompt yesterday was about absent-mindedness and/or memory.

Let's indulge. There's an episode of "I Love Lucy" where Lucy and Ethel sit in Lucy's kitchen and commiserate about their marriages being in a rut. Ethel's story was all about how Fred comes whining to her every morning about not being able to find his glasses--and every morning, she finds them in the same place.

Sure enough, a few minutes later, Fred came into the kitchen:

"I can't find my glasses!" yelled Fred.
His wife chuckled and watched him turn red.
Then she said, with a sigh,
As she pointed up high,
"They're right there on top of your head."

Of course, the haiku part is harder. It's kind of hard to fit a lot of stuff into a form that's all about minimalism. (And note that I said "hard," not impossible. When The Worst Writing Teacher In The World said "You can't write a haiku about the Battle of Hastings," I turned around and wrote one. I wish I could remember it.)

Anyway, here's a haiku about memory. Or, more precisely, "Memory."

I always tear up:
Old Deuteronomy says,
"Sing, Grizabella."

Actually, it sounds a little better if you let me have the extra syllable:

I always tear up
when Old Deuteronomy
lets Grizabella sing.

2 Comments:

  • I enjoyed those. Thanks so much for joining in on my latest prompt. Hope to see you next Friday.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 PM  

  • (Savannah) I would disagree--the first Grizabella haiku is actually better. The contortions of its wording ring true. It reads like the "real" haiku I've read.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home