Strange Brouhaha

Friday, January 25, 2008

I like dreaming about spending money!

Over at Friday Fun, Kiki says, "I have money on the brain since I just filed our taxes for the year!

1. If you were to get a unexpected windfall, what is your first thought on what to do with the money? Were you practical or not?! My first that was indeed practical: since we will certainly owe money on our taxes this year, I would sock a windfall away in my savings account until April.

2. You have $1000 to spend on yourself. What do you buy? With $5000? I'm assuming here that this is money that I have to spend. With a thousand bucks, I'd probably buy a Kindle (not nearly as ugly as the photos make it out to be) or a Sony Reader eBook device and some books, and a new cell phone. With five thousand bucks, a digital piano. I'm not sure why, since it'd just be another thing I don't use, but I guess I have high hopes.

3. You have $1000 to spend on something for your home. What do you buy? With $5000? For a thousand bucks, a new water softener system and a new dishwasher. Our softener really needs replacing, and our dishwasher isn't that great--I want one that really is quiet. For five thousand bucks, I'd splurge on a big-screen HDTV, Blu-ray player, home stereo receiver and 5.1 sound.

4. You have your windfall and you realize your car is older than you. So what do you buy? A Prius. Although to be honest, I'm totally happy with our Ford Focus, and I'd certainly consider getting another one of those instead. (Okay, "totally happy" is a lie, because the pedal arrangement doesn't suit my feet and I'm constantly cursing it. But other than that, it's a great little car and I would indeed get another one.)

5. You decide to buy some books with your windfall at Amazon. What 5 books would you get? Hmm, this is tough. Steve Martin's new book, "Born Standing Up" for sure; I've read excerpts from it and they've been fascinating--and I don't even care that much about Steve Martin. A book for professional development, possibly Perry's "Effective Methods for Software Testing" or Black's "Pragmatic Software Testing." A book on humor writing (Kachuba, maybe, or Perret or Truman, but I'm open to suggestions), because I want to try to figure out how to be funny on purpose, and because reading about writing is far easier than actually doing it. I'd get my mother-in-law's advice on a good book about John Ford. And finally, even though I really don't like Shakespeare, a Shakespeare omnibus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home