Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Two-day gut check

I've started a list of action items for myself. These are the things that I currently don't like (to varying degrees) about Blogger. I need to do a little bit of research on whether or not I can control and/or fix them.


  • I do like the fact that comments are mailed to me now...but I don't like the fact that when I use a webmail client to read a comment mailed to me from blogspot, the mail will hijack my browser. You heard me correctly. All the cgi-bin links from the message controls (next, delete, logout, reply, etc.) are redirected to blogspot.com or blogger.com. Presumably this won't happen in an actual email client, and it may not happen in browsers other than the one I'm currently using. I'll have to check that out.

  • I no longer have the ability to completely remove comments. I definitely don't like that. The only time I ever used that ability was to take out spam, but I don't like not having the option. Oh, I can delete comment text, but I can't completely destroy an entry. I already know that I can't do anything about this.

  • On a similar note, I can't go back and edit my own comments. I can re-edit posts, I think, but comments are there for good. Users should have the ability to edit their own comments. Period.

  • I find the column width for the main posting area ridiculously narrow, but I'd bet I can change that in the template settings. Does anyone else find it too narrow? My sense of perspective is a little bit off, since my monitor resolution is set pretty high. Maybe it looks okay at 1024x768.


That's pretty much it for now. It's a tiny list, although I have to admit that the comment thing really annoys me. And the list of things I don't like is far outweighed by the list of thing that I do like: it's free. (That's right--"list of thing" is not a typo. Oh, that's unfair; this is a good system.)

4 Comments:

  • The mail hijacking is a problem so far only in Netscape 7.0. Later versions seem to be ok.

    By Blogger Robert, at 9:12 AM  

  • Here's another thing I don't like. The layout template seems awfully...generic. Not that SB Mk I wasn't, but at least I designed it myself. The layouts are all slick and polished. Maybe I can mess it up a little.

    By Blogger Robert, at 1:44 PM  

  • You may notice some loading difficulties; it's because there are still separate connection issues with sciencedrive.com and I'm using that to host that lovely picture of me. Stuff should smooth out over the next little while.

    Also, you may need to hit "Reload" or "Refresh" on your browser when you hit this site. I've noticed that new content doesn't always show up right away because of the browser cache.

    By Blogger Robert, at 5:03 PM  

  • (Dan) - sometimes the posts say "0 comments" even though there are some. (See the one about the presidential debate). Other times (like this one) it accurately shows the number of comments.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home