Strange Brouhaha

Monday, November 08, 2004

Weekend Potpourri


  • I took Lani to a weekend event at her Sunday School. We went Saturday afternoon and stayed overnight. I'd really like to say more, but for the first time in my life I don't feel like being overly mean in a public forum, even one which I know none of these people will ever read. I will say that I hate supercilious vegans, though. And people in general. And being in a large group of people I don't know, which also contains a number of supercilious vegans and bratty, churli...uh, I said I wasn't going to be mean. Sorry.


  • University of Hawaii quarterback Timmy Chang set the NCAA passing yardage record this weekend, beating Ty Detmer. ESPN, never willing to give a brother a break, said "It took him more games and more attempts, and there's going to be an asterisk in the record book because they're not going to retroactively count Detmer's bowl appearances, and sure, Timmy Chang gets bashed for being a marginal pro prospect, but he should be congratulated." Uh, thanks. Oh, and they have to put in that little dig and say "Heisman Trophy winner Ty Detmer," too.


  • Any guesses on how long it's going to be before the Reich declares that Colin Powell is out of a job?


  • Speaking of which, I love how they're going to twist the knife on this. Did anyone hear what the planned Fallujah op's code name is? Phantom Fury. Yeah, it's like "Nyah, nyah, fuck you, you know this isn't right and so do we! But we're doing it anyway! Alles in Ordnung!" If you don't get it, I'll be happy to explain. But I'm sure you get it. I guess I shouldn't call it "planned" anymore, since I just saw a headline that says that it started already. It's been planned for months, though. Just like the White House started planning this war right after Inauguration day 2001.


  • The new Star Wars trailer leaves me cold. It looks like a computer-animated cartoon. I just hate what George has done. I'm reminded of something that Huxley said about "Brave New World." I wish I could find the quote, but I don't really have time now. Basically, he said that he wasn't going to do anything to "Brave New World" because he was a different person than he was when he wrote it, and it would diminish and dilute the work to change it. He said that he was aware of its flaws, but since he'd be approaching the work with an entirely different mindset and perspective, he wouldn't be changing it for the better. Hint, hint, George Lucas.

5 Comments:

  • (Vegie boy--dpb) You're not going to eat THAT, are you? You Atkins people...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 AM  

  • (JJB) At the risk of looking dumb(er), I need the explanation on your Fallujah item.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 AM  

  • (Savannah) Rob can confirm, but my suspicion is that he means that the play on "Phantom Menace" was deliberate, as in, "Why yes--we *are* the Lords of the Sith!" They are imagining the triumph of the Empire.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 AM  

  • No, it has nothing to do with Star Wars.

    To me, something that is "Phantom" is not real. "Phantom Fury" suggests misdirection to me. It suggests a smokescreen. It suggests "Yes, we know that nobody but George W. Bush wants this to happen." We surely do have fury, but directed at the wrong target.

    Hmm...I don't think I made it any clearer, but does that help?

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:56 PM  

  • (JJB) Cool. I think I get it. Just making sure there's no dude in purple tights involved.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home