Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Little Bits Of Stuff

Gosh, it's been so long since I had a little catch-all list that I thought it was high time for another one. Herewith, a bunch of small items.


  • The Rams won their game against the Seahawks. Given that the Rams beat Seattle twice this season, it's not exactly a surprise, and here in Wisconsin, we're happy to see Mike Holmgren lose. Unfortunately, since their wins this season came against either weak teams or teams that were resting their starters for the playoffs, the Rams aren't going to go any farther.


  • Happy birthday, Elvis, wherever you are. Seventy years young. (For anyone who was wondering, Peter Guralnick's two-volume biography of Elvis is totally worth reading, but also very, very depressing. Tom Parker can rot in hell.)


  • Speaking of football, I'm hoping for a good game between the Packers and the Vikings tomorrow. The Vikings are gonna be pissed at dribbling away their season the way they did, and they're going to want some revenge for having the division title taken away. But the Vikings are slumping and the Packers are hot. If the Packers win, they play Atlanta next week and the Rams go to Philadelphia. If the Vikings win, they play the Eagles and the Rams go to Atlanta. Either way...it's Atlanta vs. Philadelphia for the NFC Championship.


6 Comments:

  • (Fj) - Saw Elvis at Ala Moana Shopping Center a week or two ago. Still dyes his hair jet black - looks kind of funny, considering his age. No one pays much attention to him anymore.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 PM  

  • I hope for a good game but expect nothing. Last year, the Pack weren't any more deserving than the Vikes and "backed in" when the shitty Cardinals outplayed MN. I have no problems with backing in, although I thought it was an uncharastic lack of class for the Pack to invite what's-his-name as the guest of honor for their Wild Card game. And karma rewarded them with a loss.

    This year, however, the Vikes again blazed out to a great start, and could control their destiny by beating someone shitty like Chicago, Seattle (yes, I contend that Seattle was shitty), or Washington. They didn't do that, and that seems fairly telling. Again, I'm happy their in the playoffs and would love to see them do well. But I'm not holding my breath and life will go on (pretty much) as usual whatever happens.

    The one thing I do care about is that I think Daunte Culpepper is a great quarterback who is not getting the respect he deserves because of a) Peyton Manning, who I wouldn't mind seeing get hit by a bus, and b) the Vikes lack of playoff success. Every week the callers bitch about him not being able to win a big game, but I see him consistently giving 100%, working his ass off, and willing them to stay in games where it seems like the rest of the team has given up. Fickle Minnesotans fail to appreciate this effort. Little things like dude regularly getting off passes with one or two guys hanging on him. Any other QB and that's a sack. So I hope that the team's fortunes improve. As much as I'd hate seeing him go, I could live with seeing him somewhere where he'd get the success and recognition I think he's deserving of. So whatever happens today and up to the Super Bowl, I will wear my #11 jersey one more time at the Pro Bowl and hope that he puts a foot in Manning's ass.

    This probably goes without saying, but I am nothing less than delighted at Eli Manning's 2004 season. The Chargers fell short in the end, but I think their season was a worthy "fuck you" to him. Douchebag.

    Oh, and better minds than mine aren't so sure about the Eagles. I may have mentioned this before, but I love this column and read it fanatically. If you're even mildly interested in football, you should do the same.

    Go Vikes!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM  

  • I totally agree about Daunte Culpepper.

    By Blogger Robert, at 8:02 PM  

  • (Josh) Did I really say "...their in the playoffs"?

    I will now return my diploma.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:56 AM  

  • (Ham) Yes, you did say ".. their .." Now you've been exposed for the compleat and utter frawd that you are. Soon any case you've ever worked on will be overturned.

    Maybe now, I'll be able to go back and see the Redskinettes without fear of prosecution, or whatever it was.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

  • The other thing I was going to say about Daunte Culpepper is, send him over to the Packers! We'll need a good quarterback in the next couple of years.

    By Blogger Robert, at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home