Strange Brouhaha

Monday, January 03, 2005

Sounds Crazy, Yes

Here's a New York Times article (register if you haven't already; it's free and they really don't spam you, at least not that I've seen) on Harvey Fierstein, who takes over for Alfred Molina on Tuesday in "Fiddler On The Roof". I'm still not sure what to think. On the one hand, I like Harvey Fierstein a lot. On the other hand, this is a role that requires singing, and...let's just say that I don't think that he won his latest Tony on the strength of his singing voice. It will be interesting to see what the critical assessment is.

One thing that's funny in the article comes right at the beginning, when he talks about someone asking him if it would be difficult for him to play a heterosexual. It just made me smile, because I remember reading an interview with him where he claimed that he played a straight man in "Independence Day."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home