Strange Brouhaha

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Your Word For The Day

scroop: n., the crisp rustle of silk or a similar fabric.

I ran across this one today doing a crossword puzzle. Needless to say, even with SCROO_ filled in, I had no idea how to complete it. (The clue was "Squeak's onomatopoeic cousin," which is pretty much no help.) I had to get the crossing word to get SCROOP, and even then all I could say was "Huh?"

Bonus word from the same crossword: "How Virginia entered the Union." I had T__TH__ (that's T-blank-blank-T-H-blank-blank) and kept thinking "Well, it's the tenth state, but that doesn't take care of the last two letters." It turned out to be TENTHLY, which is highly suspect. I'm no cruciverbalist (Lord knows I've tried) but TENTHLY is kind of stretching it.

1 Comments:

  • (Ham) Tenthly?

    It sound like somebody with a lisp is saying 'tensely.'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home