Strange Brouhaha

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Recommend a book!

One of my Christmas gifts this year was a gift card for Barnes & Noble. I realize that the good thing about a gift card is that you don't have to rush right out and spend it, and that I could wait for the perfect thing to come around, but I thought I'd solicit some suggestions.

So...have you read a good book lately? Is there anything you'd recommend? I'll take any suggestions, whether you think I might have read them or not.

There are absolutely no guidelines. I'm interested in anything good--fiction or nonfiction, any genre, any subject.

On a completely unrelated note, Josh pointed out David Lee Roth's bluegrass-flavored Van Halen covers. Here's one:



It doesn't really work for me. The band is incredible--I'll have to look these guys up and listen to some of their bluegrass work. But Dave...I think I've said this before, but David Lee Roth only works in the context of Van Halen, and Van Halen only works with David Lee Roth. This version of "Jump" just makes it painfully obvious; Dave isn't really changing his delivery--he's still got that arena-filling voice, he's still being Diamond Dave, and it doesn't fit at all.

Oh, and if you hit YouTube, and you search for "David Lee Roth bluegrass" and you watch one of the live performances, you'll momentarily wonder what Carson Kressley is doing singing Van Halen tunes, but that's Dave. (Seriously...I thought it was Carson, body language and all. See if you can find the Boston Pops performance.)

1 Comments:

  • Books, you say. "Confederates in the Attic" and "Baghdad without a Map" by Tony Horwitz and "In a Sun-Burned Country" by Bill Bryson are some of the best reads I've had in years. All in the travel non-fiction vein, all hilarious. I've read a lot of other works by both authors, but I put these at the top.

    I also recently read and enjoyed "Into the Wild" and "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. They tell the true tales of disastrous trips to Alaska and Mt. Everest, respectively. I found it hard to muster a lot of sympathy for any of the protagonists, but are pretty compelling reads.

    Penny just read "Thirteen Moons" by Charles "Cold Mountain" Frazier, and said it was awesome. I just read "No Country for Old Men," but thought the movie blew it away.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home