Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Late-night TV bombshell

Before I started playing Star Wars Galaxies, the TV in my house would be on from the time Lani went to bed (7:00-7:30) until 12:30 or so, when Conan O'Brien was over. Yeah, that's right. Usually I would read a book with the TV on as background until 10:35 when The Tonight Show would come on.

I like Jay Leno on the Tonight Show. They put on a good show, they have good guests. It's not great television, but I think that despite the pedestal people put Carson on, Carson didn't make great television either. What it was, and is, is good.

I like Conan O'Brien a lot. He's funny. He's even funny when he's not funny. I like his interviewing style; he's not afraid to ask stupid or silly questions, he's not afraid to crack wise with his guests. I'd say he's kind of like a polite, non-boob-obsessed Howard Stern.

When I hit CNN this morning, I saw that NBC has signed Leno to the Tonight Show for another five years, and Conan to Late Night for another five years...and then Conan will replace Jay on the Tonight Show. I think that that's great news. I'd come away from the computer every night at 10:30 to watch The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien.

And if they keep Joel the announcer, Max Weinberg (and the Max Weinberg 7) and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, everybody wins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home