Strange Brouhaha

Monday, October 18, 2004

Quick Hits

Awww: The AP wire this morning notes that Jeb Bush has ruled out running for President in 2008. You may fill in your own cynical reasons why.

Now THERE'S an endorsement: Whenever the Russians think something is a good idea, you can generally assume that they're wrong. The samovar and pirozhki are about the only good ideas to come out of Russia, and I think borscht cancels those out.

sciencedrive.com: I host that picture of me on sciencedrive.com, and sciencedrive.com has been down for quite a while. You'll just have to do without gazing upon me, at least until it comes back up.

Orwell was only off by 20 years: The whole point of The Party's slogans (War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength) and, indeed, the whole point of The Party in general, was to manipulate people's perceptions to create a shifting reality. With that in mind, or even with that not in mind because, frankly, there's a lot more scary stuff than just that, read Ron Suskind's NYT Magazine cover article. If you have to register, register. Yes, this deserves a whole rant rather than just a line or two in Potpourri.

Mary Cheney is a lesbian: The Rude Pundit, of course, puts it much better than I do. You know what I think is demeaning? I think it's demeaning that the elder Cheneys feel that they need to "defend" themselves because their daughter is a lesbian. Makes you wonder why she's campaigning for him.

5 Comments:

  • What I'm trying to say with that Mary Cheney thing, in my own inept way, is that it's truly sad that the Cheneys treat the whole thing like they're embarassed and ashamed to be reminded that their daughter is gay. Hey, they're the ones using homosexuality to get people's undies in a bunch.

    By Blogger Robert, at 10:50 AM  

  • (Savannah) The Rude Pundit's current update is also extremely awesome. Well worth reading.

    Dick n' Lynn feel embarrassed and ashamed about their daughter because of the company they travel in. I would like to inform the Cheneys that there is a whole other set of people, right across the aisle there in plain view, who would have a totally different attitude about their daughter (ranging roughly from "Hey, that's her business, not mine" to "Great!"), one which would probably make the Cheneys feel a whole lot happier. Any time, guys, any time. Oh, but--leave Halliburton at the door, please.

    That Russian thing was pretty funny.

    I cannot muster the courage to read the Ron Suskind piece. I already fear and loathe Bush so much I can hardly stand it. I already know he wants to send me and everyone like me to a holding pen in Nebraska where his minions can brainwash us while forcing us to break rocks in the winter naked while guards take turns sodomizing us with blunt objects while yelling "Liberal! Liberal!" at us tauntingly. (Note to Rude Pundit: *that* is what Bush is jacking off to, not The Passion of the Christ.) I do not want to know about the social, political, judicial, religious, and propaganda infrastructure he is currently building to make it possible for him to do that. To me. And you. And everyone.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

  • Then I'll just have to post what I think is the heart of the matter from Ron Suskind's article. He describes his conversation with a "senior adviser to Bush", who says, after informing Suskind that he, Suskind, is a member of "what we call the reality-based community":

    "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

    By Blogger Robert, at 3:02 PM  

  • (Savannah) Nothin' like a Bushie to get me howling with laughter at the ridiculous hubris, screaming in terror at what the men capable of such grandiose fantasies have in store for us, keening in grief at what it's come to ("we're an empire"), which kind of brings me back to the desperate laughter ("we're an empire"--oh yeah? seems to me all OPEC's gotta do is turn off the spigot)...

    I just hope it doesn't get too much worse before it starts to get better.

    I hope it starts to get better.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 PM  

  • (JJB) whitehouse.org, which is always brutally hilarious, has a great letter from Ma Cheney on the whole "L-word" thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home