Strange Brouhaha

Friday, October 15, 2004

Traffic and bizarre fish

Traffic around Lani's school is horrible--obviously, because getting hundreds of kids to the same place at approximately the same time is a logistical nightmare. It's not made any better by the fact that the vast majority of people are idiots. We almost got into another accident this morning because of someone who was DOUBLE-PARKING the No Parking zone; she decided that it was just fine to pull out into traffic without signaling, even though I was RIGHT NEXT TO HER and there were cars plainly visible behind me and in front of me.

People not stopping at stop signs? Seen it.

People WITH THEIR KIDS rushing into the middle of the street without looking EITHER way, never mind both? Seen it.

Double-parking the No Parking zone? More than once.

Parking in the spot clearly marked for buses? Yup. (Note to bozos: no, it doesn't matter that the buses had already been and gone as far as you know.)

People pulling away from the curb without checking their mirrors? Uh-huh. How do I know they're not checking their mirrors? Because I check mine and when I see a car coming, I don't go...but the burb-mobile in front of me does. It's a reasonable assumption.

I'm amazed that there hasn't been an accident yet. Knock wood.

And yes, I am better than all of these people. Thanks for asking.

What, you wanna know about the fish, too?

That's "fish," plural, by the way. The Northern Snakehead put in an appearance in Lake Michigan. This thing walks on land and eats, among other things, mammals. It's like a mini-shark which, let me remind you, WALKS ON LAND. It is to laugh that the Illinois DNR hopes that there was only one. There's never only one. Don't you people watch horror movies?

That same article talks about some flood victims--namely Asian Carp, flooded out of their ponds, migrating north.

The Lakes were making such a nice comeback, too.

1 Comments:

  • (JJB) Dude, SciFi has already had not one, but TWO crappy snakehead movies - The Snakehead Menace and FrankenFish. They double-featured them last weekend, but I had to miss FrankenFish cuz we had a show.

    I can pretty much guarantee it was awful, although probably not as bad as Octopus 2, which I managed to catch the end of.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home