Strange Brouhaha

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Wednesday Mind Hump

Here's today's Wednesday Mind Hump from Blogdrive.


Star Wars or Star Trek?
Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter?
Internet Explorer or Firefox?
iPod shuffle or iPod Nano?
Camera phone or mp3 phone?
Dilbert or Jon from "Garfield"?

And of course, the big question

Mac or PC?


1. I like Star Wars, but for me Star Trek is the only choice. Always has been, always will be. I'll have to be tedious here and point out that by Star Trek I do mean Star Trek. I don't mean The Adventures of Captain Baldy And The Chin.

2. Harry Potter. Rowling isn't nearly the writer Tolkien was, but her books have the advantage of being mostly engaging. If the choice was between The Hobbit and Harry Potter, I'd pick Bilbo, but I think LOTR is just plain tedious.

3. Firefox. The only time I use IE is when I have to use an IE-only website. Two examples are the Esker corporate intranet (which I never actually used because it required IE) and my current employer's HR website, which has a few sections that don't respond correctly in Firefox.

4. The Nano. It has an actual interface.

5. Neither. I'll tell you what I want in a cell phone: it has to make and receive calls, have bluetooth, and allow me to load up my own damn ringtones and graphics. I don't give a damn about whether it has a shitty camera or a shitty mp3 player or a shitty organizer or shitty games.

6. Depends on what you want. Dilbert, I guess. Does the annoying dog come along? If so, I think I'd take Jon instead.

7. Depends on what I'm going to do with it. If I intend to use it for serious work, Mac. My reasoning is this: sooner or later, I'll be tempted to buy games. I'm able to discipline myself to not even look at Mac games. I've had this iBook for three years now, and it remains a work-only computer. Not so with my PC; whenever I sit down at my PC intending to Do Stuff, I always end up playing a game instead. That's not an option on my Mac. (Please note: I'm not saying that there are no Mac games; that's a myth. I'm just saying that I have a clarity regarding games on the Mac that I do not have with PCs.)

3 Comments:

  • Star Trek - I was watching "Menagerie" the other night. Great episode(s)! Star Wars had that purity between good and evil, but I always liked the exploration of [the original] Star Trek.

    I have to say, I like LOTR more than Harry Potter. The scene with Gandolf the Gray against the shadow beast in the first part is one of my favorite scenes. I like the Harry Potter movies, but the depth and complexity of the worlds created in LOTR is just amazing.

    I like Firefox, but IE is still a bit faster and doesn't have some of the quirks of Firefox. Still, I like Firefox a little bit more. Although, IE7 may change that.

    iPod - I haven't used either and don't know anything about either. No comment. :-)

    Camera phone! You never know when an amazing college girl walks by that you might want to capture in a Kodak moment. ;-)

    Dilbert - he understands.

    PC - .NET. I like C# too much! Mono and other .NET clones just aren't far enough along.

    By Blogger Terry, at 12:14 AM  

  • (Savannah)

    I refuse to choose between SW and ST. They were both indispensable. Also, they don't overlap. One is sf and one is high fantasy. Totally different feel to each universe.

    To my mind, LOTR and HP do overlap. This might be just in my head, but they've got that same, deeply British vibe of a cozy world with a shocking darkness at its core. Sort of "Pickwick Papers Meets 1984," if we want to bring together the extremes of cozy and dark (although Dickens could do dark just fine when he wanted to). I like LOTR much better. No question. It's not just the narrative thrust (or lack of same). I can think of so many individual moments that stand out for me so much more strongly than anything in HP.

    Firefox, IE, iPods, camera phones...whaaaatever. As for the Mac/PC question, I use what I am sat down in front of and shown how to use. I used a Mac until Rob said we should switch to PCs. Makes no difference to me except what side to click on to close things.

    Jon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:58 AM  

  • Assuming it's STTOS and SWANH, I choose Star Wars. It hit me at just the right time in my life.

    Books: LOTR
    Movies: Harry

    IE. Firefox has piss-poor support for Tablet PC.

    Don't know.

    Don't like phones.

    Dilbert

    PC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home