Strange Brouhaha

Friday, September 29, 2006

The Friday Fiver

The questions on today's Friday Fiver looked interesting, so I thought I'd take a stab at them.


1. What's the last thing you broke?

2. What's the most expensive thing you've broken?

3. Do you consider yourself clumsy or graceful?

4. How much money do you have in your wallet right now?

5. Someone asks for change while you're walking down the street -- what do you do?


1. I dropped a picture frame in my office on Tuesday and the glass broke. The pictures are okay, fortunately.

2. Accidentally or on purpose? And does it matter when it was expensive? Because I've deliberately taken apart things that at one time had been expensive, but were old and useless by the time I got them. I guess the most expensive thing I've ever broken that I can remember is a new computer; I was putting random pieces of RAM into a machine and at one point the motherboard went zzzzt and started smoking. Fortunately, it was a work computer and it was easy to fix...with a new motherboard. At that point, that computer had probably cost a couple of thousand dollars. I'm sure I broke something worth even more expensive, but if I did I no longer remember it.

3. Graceful, I guess. I try not to be a clumsy oaf. Maybe I succeed. I dunno.

4. None. As I've said before, I don't carry cash unless I absolutely have to, and right now I don't have to.

5. I was in Chicago once and this guy came up to me and asked me for money. I happened to have some cash on me and I was about to hand him some of it when a cop car rolled to a stop next to us and the cop looked at me and said "Don't do it." I smiled at him and extended the money to the guy. The cop said, "Hey, I'm serious. Don't." I'm a little thick, but I got the message. Usually, though, I just ignore people begging for change. I could try to rationalize it, I guess, but I'm not going to. I just don't do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home