Strange Brouhaha

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Thursday musings

I'm trying to limber up for this year's National Novel Writing Month, which isn't that far off now. So I'm going to try to step up the posting activity. Here's the current 3x Thursday from Hair Metal Queen.


1. What's your favorite 'chill' (mellow, relaxing, etc) activity? Why?

2. When you go out, where do you like to go? What do you like to do?

3. What's your favorite comfort food? Why? Do you keep some on hand for emergencies?

Bonus Question for Comments: How's life? Is it treating you well right now?


1. My favorite thing to do to relax is read. I'll read anything, as I believe I've mentioned before. Right now, I'm working on "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis, a book on design, and a couple of books on model building and figure drawing. I like reading because it is calm and quiet, and can be utterly silent, which is nice after a cacophonous day of audio and video editing.

2. Big surprise...the bookstore. Barnes and Noble is just down the street. Not that I go out much any more. I like to wander around, look at magazines and books, try to find inspiration or just something to read. The bookstore is actually tied with the library, because the library has all of the benefits of the bookstore with none of the costs. (It still amazes me that I can somehow pass up a book in the library. I mean, what does it cost to pull ten random books off the shelves and read them? Nothin'!)

3. Manapua. I don't really know why. I used to get a manapua and an RC Cola after school a lot, and I have fond memories of that--even though the manapua from the manapua wagon was stuffed with meat of dubious origin. There's just something about a bite of "the salubrious bun and meat" that sums up everything that's right with the world. Toss in a couple of pork hash and it's heaven. You used to be able to get Char Siu Bao at a place down the street from us, but that was fifteen years ago and it's long gone...so no, I don't keep any on hand. You can get them from Zippy's online (which my sister did last year), but it's prohibitively expensive and thus not something a person can do regularly. I usually make my parents bring some when they visit. (And yes, I'm well aware that Wimpy was not referring to manapua as "the salubrious bun and meat.")

Bonus: You know, I'm a litle bit superstitious and thus a little nervious about actually saying this out loud, but...things are going really well. Around this time last year, I was still unemployed and without a clue as to whether I'd ever be employed. Pretty much everything now is going right, and so I guess I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop.

3 Comments:

  • Speaking of books, did you ever get around to reading "Fiasco"? Just curious what you thought. I'd like to read it, but I'm too busy reading programming books. I'm just finishing my 3rd 800+ page .NET book since I started working "here".

    By Blogger Terry, at 11:18 PM  

  • I never did, but perhaps the Mrs. will weigh in with her opinion. It had to go back to the library before I had a crack at it.

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:19 AM  

  • (the Mrs.) "Fiasco" was best when it dealt directly with the origins of the Iraq War. Ultimately it did not make as much of an impression on me as a book called "The Sorrows of Empire" by (I think) Chalmers Johnson, which should be required reading for every American. I also recently read a book called "Full Spectrum Disorder" (a play on the loathsome and scary "full spectrum dominance") by Stan Goff. I think Goff is a little bit out there in some regards, but the book is nonetheless worth reading. (It was interesting to get his savage take on combat PTSD--it's what happens to guys who can't admit that the most darkly ecstatic and exciting part of their lives, aka combat, is really over--after having read and loved Jonathan Shay's "Achilles in Vietnam." In some respects, the veterans recounting their stories do sound like recovering drug addicts who clearly tell their stories as a way of safely reliving their glory days--while also reminding themselves why those days had to end. It's complicated--nobody would say that drugs or combat are good for you, and yet it's clear that life is just way more exciting and important when you're in the thick of both. Death threatens, perceptions are insanely heightened, joy is sharper and friendships more meaningful. Then afterwards, there is the struggle to reclaim oneself, which gives life purpose.)

    What were we talking about again?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home