Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Monday Music Mambo

Here's the Monday Music Mambo from Blogdrive Insanity.


1. Name one new band/artist (with a debut album released within the last three years) who you enjoy a lot.

2. How do you discover new music?

3. Name a band or artist who you'd love to experience for the first time back when they first made a name for themselves. In other words, what band would you time-travel to see perform?


1. I'm blanking on pretty much anything recent, let alone a debut album within the last three years. I like the first Los Lonely Boys album, which I think is from sometime in the last few years. I'm not sure I'd say I "enjoy it a lot" though.

2. The only new music I hear is between shows on Disney Channel, when they play a video for whatever they're pimping. Well, that's not precisely true; I've gotten some good stuff on the recommendation of friends, and occasionally I'll be flipping past the MTV or the VH1 and they'll be playing a new video that's good. I should rectify that, I suppose, but there's so much backfilling to do...

3. Super easy. The Miles Davis Quintet with Red Garland, Philly Joe Jones, Paul Chambers and John Coltrane. It's not that Miles made a name for himself with this group, but that Coltrane did. They made some great music. Second choice, Coltrane's quartet with McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones and Jimmy Garrison. Third choice: Eric Dolphy when he was playing with Charles Mingus. Fourth choice: Rush. Fifth choice: Bill Evans' trio with Paul Motian and Scott LaFaro. Sixth choice: The Dave Brubeck Quartet with Paul Desmond, Joe Morello and Gene Wright. I could go on and on and on and on and on and on.

1 Comments:

  • #3. 1. Louis Armstrong when he started as a young man in New Orleans.

    2. Sounds corny, but the Beatles in London.

    3. Any combo in a packed nightclub in the roaring 20's.

    4. I guess Charlie Parker, out of curiosity more than anything alse.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home