Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Music Memoirs' Take Me Back Tuesday

Here's this week's Take Me Back Tuesday from Music Memoirs. It's all about the radio.


Do you like listening to the radio? why or why not?

How many songs can you remember that are about the radio or mention radio in the lyrics or title?

Do you have any memories associated with the radio?

Have you ever called in a request to your favorite station?

Bonus:

If you could request a song right now what song would you pick


1. I like listening to the radio occasionally. By the time I left my job at the music store, I was burned out on music in general; in fact, I had mostly stopped listening to and creating music of any kind. For a long time, if the radio was on, it was tuned to the local sports talk station rather than any music. I'm a lot more radio-friendly now. The presets on the car radio are for NPR, Air America, the oldies station, a rock station and a free-format station.

2. Off the top of my head..."The Spirit Of Radio" by Rush, "Mexican Radio" by Wall Of Voodoo, "Fun Fun Fun" by The Beach Boys ("with the radio blasting, goes cruisin' just as fast as she can now"), "Raised on Radio" which is a Journey album but that album may very well have a title track. Hmm, does "listenin' to a rock and roll station" from John Cougar Mellencamp's Pink Houses count? Probably not.

3. It seems that KCCN AM, which was the only Hawaiian music station on the radio when I was a kid, was in the background of an awful lot of my childhood. I also remember that I was determined at one point to "fit in" at school, so I locked myself in my room and put on KQMQ until I forced myself to like what it was playing. The first song that I clearly remember hearing that wasn't Hawaiian was "Apache" by Sugarhill Gang. Oh...and how could I fail to mention hearing "I Remember You" by Skid Row on EVERY Des Moines radio station EVERY hour? We listened to nothing but that song, just to see if we could. AND how could I fail to mention how awesome it was to run the boards with Josh at KDIC, 88.7 FM, Grinnell, Iowa?

4. Yes.

5. Would they play it? I wouldn't mind hearing "South of Heaven," right now, although I have it on CD. It's a click away. Something I don't have...I guess I'd request Madness' "Our House" or "We Live So Fast" by Heaven 17 or "Perfect Way" by Scritti Politti.

3 Comments:

  • Elvis Costello - Radio Radio "Radio is a sound salvation"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 PM  

  • We RULED the airwaves, good sir.

    Um, just don't go back and listen to any of those tapes...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 PM  

  • Hmm...does that mean that I'm remembering the ratio of whining-for-calls to actual content accurately? :D

    By Blogger Robert, at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home