Strange Brouhaha

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Yesterday's Mind Hump

Time to take a break from the NaNoWriMo project (going well, if a bit disorganized) and write about yesterday's Wednesday Mind Hump". It's all about the 1980s. I like the 80s. I wouldn't mind seeing a serious retrospective on the pop culture of the 80s, rather than the snarky "I Love The 80s" that they show on the VH1.


1. What 80s song makes you want to get up out of your seat and dance like a fool?

2. What 80s ballad (new wave or hair metal or any other) makes you cry behind your Ray-Ban sunglasses?

3. What's your favorite movie from the 80s?

4. What stage of life were you in during the 80s? Was that a good or bad decade for you?

5. Do you know how to wang chung?


1. "Dance Hall Days" by Wang Chung. In fact, that's the first song I ever bought from iTunes. Honorable mention: "We Live So Fast" by Heaven 17, and that Scritti Politti song, "Perfect Way". The Communards' cover of "Don't Leave Me This Way" (frickin' Jimmy Sommerville is almost as scary as the twelve-foot-tall Chuck Billy and the frightening bald dude from Midnight Oil). Anything at all by Prince. There are so many.

2. Good question. The first one that comes to mind is "Crazy For You" by Madonna, but it doesn't really make me tear up or anything. I was never really much of a ballad person. Maybe someone can remind me of some good ones. BUT NO AIR SUPPLY.

3. It's a toss-up between "Rambo: First Blood Part II" (I bought our first DVD player in part because that was one of the DVDs that came with it--true story!) and "Purple Rain". Both of which were rated R. Both of which I saw in the theaters. Don't tell my mom and dad. I hope that it goes without mentioning that "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" have emeritus status in this category. Interesting, isn't it, that three of those movies are sequels...and that all of them have sequels that never should have been made? (Is "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" from the 80s? Because that's another favorite right there. And it has a sequel that never should have been made, too!)

4. The 1980s saw me through fifth grade all the way to my junior year in college. Adolescence is rough for pretty much everyone, for each of us in his own way, so I guess the best I can say was that it had its ups and downs. I had good friends and a great family, so the ups certainly outweighed the downs. Whatever I am today was shaped largely by the 1980s. I did a lot of things and made a lot of choices in those ten years, some which make me proud and some which I regret.

5. No.

1 Comments:

  • By the way, you do the math: I was in fifth grade in 1980. Purple Rain came out in 1984, Rambo in 1985. Again, I saw them in the theaters. My parents did not. That's why you're not supposed to tell my mom and dad!

    By Blogger Robert, at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home