Strange Brouhaha

Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Saturday Six

Patrick was the victim of the same problem I was having with posting. Here's yesterday's Saturday Six.


1. Have you ever joined one of those "social networking" communities like "Friendster" or "Myspace?" Would you ever consider it?

2. Do you think that lasting friendships can be made solely through sites like those?

3. Has reduced prices in gasoline prompted you to drive more?

4. Take the quiz: What kind of sports car are you? (Thanks, Charley!)

5. Which phone do you use the most: your home phone, your work phone, or your cell phone? Of the remaining two, which do you use the least?

6. In the old days, telephone numbers used to be word and letter combinations. The telephone company would take the first two digits of a phone number, create a word that began with two letters corresponding to the numbers in the digits, and then follow the word with the rest of the number. So, for a number that began with 25, they might use the "A" from the 2 button and the "L" from the 5 button and create a phone number like "Alpine 2-6341. If we went back to this system, come up with a word that would work for the first two digits of your phone number. (It can be work, home or cell...just don't post your whole number!


1. No, no, and hell no. Actually, I'm not necessarily against such things. It's more like I don't see the point. How valid, for example, is MySpace as a "social network" if I can add, say, "Weird Al" Yankovic to my friends list and he can add me? There are people who will add anyone to their lists...does that mean you really have any sort of relationship? I suspect that MySpace is more of an advertising scheme than anything else.

2. No. But maybe that's just me. I've had online-only friendships, but none of them have ever been as real or as lasting as the friendships I've formed with actual people. Who knows, maybe it's possible. I'll believe it when I see it.

3. The reality is that the spike in gas prices didn't affect our driving habits in the slightest. We have places we need to go and things we need to do, and they need to be gone to and done regardless. We don't go out driving for pleasure, really. So the answer to the question is "no."

4. I wouldn't mind driving one of these. The best driving experience I've ever had was behind the wheel of my cousin's RX-7. I'm pretty sure I had it up near 100 and it was smooth as really smooth stuff.

I'm a Mazda RX-8!



You're sporty, yet practical, and you have a style of your own. You like to have fun, and you like to bring friends along for the ride, but when it comes time for everyday chores, you're willing to do your part.



5. I probably use my cell phone the most, because it's the phone we use for long distance calls. Of the two remaining, I use my home phone the least. The people I talk to the most are my wife and daughter--you can figure out the rest.

6. Just one? That's no challenge, especially given that I've got the very tasty VE and TE to work with. I don't think there are any words that the other combinations would yield. (My letters, by the way are (T|U|V) and (D|E|F).) At a glance, I could get UDder and that's about it. UFfizi, I guess, if I were feeling arty. VEgetable. VErify. VEritas. VEndor. VEst. TErrain. TEnnis. TEnebrae. TErrific. TErrible. TErrify. There are lots and lots of words.

3 Comments:

  • In defense of MySpace - great way to keep track of what some of my favorite bands are up to - hear songs, gett tour dates, new releases, etc, and it's all in one place instead of going to each and every website.

    As a band with a MySpace page, I've found it less useful. Probably because I'm not one of these obsessive people that sits on MySpace all day contacting people. Still, it is handy to let people know we're on there (especially while we're waiting to build the real website).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 PM  

  • True. I hadn't thought of that.

    But what's the point of something like this guy's MySpace page? (It's the first one I clicked on at random--be careful, the BGM is Snoop Dogg, so if you're at work turn the speakers down.)

    By Blogger Robert, at 8:15 AM  

  • Oh, and see if you can keep your eyeballs from exploding if you do follow that link.

    By Blogger Robert, at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home