Strange Brouhaha

Monday, January 29, 2007

Today's Music Mambo

It's the Monday Music Mambo.

1. What's your favorite jazz instrument? The piano, because it can occupy so many different roles in jazz. It can be both lead and accompaniment in the way that a straight lead instrument like the saxophone can't.

2. What's your favorite type of jazz? Bop and hard bop. I think that that's jazz at its pinnacle, the late 50s and early 60s. Hard bop, especially, encompasses enough of a range of music to include a few avant-garde musicians like Eric Dolphy (when he was with Mingus). I listen to music from most of the recognized jazz styles, but most of what I have is bop or hard bop--it's got the most felicitous combination of energy and control.

3. Name a few of your favorite (or just a few) jazz musicians. My absolute favorite is Eric Dolphy, which is interesting since he really doesn't play in my favorite jazz genre. He's more of a free jazz guy. Some of my other favorites are John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Dave Brubeck, and McCoy Tyner (his "Time For Tyner" is probably my second favorite jazz album next to the Coltrane Quartet's "Live at Birdland," on which Tyner also plays).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home