Strange Brouhaha

Friday, August 24, 2007

Why Five?

I mean, obviously it's because Friday and Five begin with F, and Fifteen or Forty-two would be a bit unwieldy, but why limit yourself? Here's Five on Friday. I love telling the story of my wisdom teeth, which is why I'm answering this one.

1. How do you feel about going to the dentist?
I don't like it. I recognize the need, but that doesn't really make me excited about the process. I feel the same about all sorts of medical interaction.

2. Describe your worst dental experience. I had my wisdom teeth out when I was in college. I forget what year it was, probably 89 or 90, probably in the winter because if it was summer I would have had to miss some work. My dad drove me down to the dentist. They took me in, sat me down, and gave me a local. I don't remember all of the particulars, but the following things stick out in my mind: first, it hurt; second, you don't want to hear the dentist call on the Lord and decry the difficulty of pulling your teeth ("Jesus, this is hard"); third, you don't want to have him stop drilling and say "Oops." I was REALLY unnerved by the "Oops." Turns out that they broke the drill in my mouth and we had to stay while they x-rayed the jar full of fluid they had sucked out to make sure the bit was in there.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but I was all He-Man about the painkillers and refused to even get the prescription filled. Never gonna make that mistake again.

3. Describe your best dental experience. Is there such a thing? I'm like Winston Smith when it comes to the dentist. Do it to Julia, not to me.

4. Do you floss? Yes, although not as often as you're supposed to.

5. Would you consider wearing braces as an adult? If I had to. If it was just to straighten my teeth, then no, but if I needed them to fix my teeth so that I could eat, yes. My jaws are kind of messed up and could probably benefit from surgery or braces, but I can eat and braces are expensive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home