Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, September 29, 2007

The best jazz quartet ever

Yeah, the past couple of weeks, I've been kind of into posting videos. But I think they've all been worthwhile. Especially these.

John Coltrane's quartet with McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones was, in my opinion, the best jazz quartet ever. I know, I know, it's an easy claim to make, and who's really going to argue, but it's still true.

Here's an incredible version of "My Favorite Things." Note that it's cold enough that you can see their breath--no, that's not cigarette smoke.



Here's "Afro Blue," the song that got me hooked on Coltrane in the first place.



And here's "Alabama," from the same Jazz Casual show as "Afro Blue" above. That's Ralph Gleason talking at the beginning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home