Strange Brouhaha

Friday, November 02, 2007

Five on Friday

It's time for Five On Friday, it being Friday and all.

1. They say elephants never forget. Would you compare your memory to that of an elephant or gnat? I am well-known in my house for not remembering very much. I rely on The Wife for most of my memories of the last seventeen or so years. It's not that I don't remember anything, but more like she will say "Remember when we did this-and-such?" and I'll say "Uh...no." Slide me closer to the gnat.

2. What kinds of things do you find it easy to remember? Stupid, trivial things. I love trivia, minutiae, tiny little details. Everything else I need to drill.

3. What kinds of things do you find it difficult to remember? Pretty much everything else.

4. How does your short-term memory compare to your long-term memory? I think my short-term memory is average. I have no idea if my long-term memory can be considered average.

5. How do you commit things to memory? Do you use tricks, songs, images, word associations, or other little mnemonics? Brute force repetition. I don't like mnemonics very much; it's just one more thing that you have to remember on top of everything else. For example, it's great that Many Very Eager Men Joyfully Study the Universe Nightly...but you have to remember what those letter stand for anyway, so you've wasted a brain cells memorizing the sentence and how to decode it when you could have just memorized the names of the planets to begin with. And don't get me started on Every Good Boy Does Fine and God Blesses Doers From Above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home