Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's been a while, but here's the Saturday Six

I haven't done Patrick's Saturday Six in a long time. This week's is about computers, one of my favorite subjects.

1. What was the brand and model (if you remember) of the first computer you remember using? Hm...I think it was a demo model of a TI-99/4a in a department store, but I don't remember which store. Obviously, though, what I did was program in a stupid phrase on the order of "10 PRINT 'BUTT!'; 20 GOTO 10" because that's what you DID in those days.

2. What year do you remember using a home computer for the first time? Well, if I have to remember a year, it's 1984 and using a first-generation Macintosh. But I'm pretty sure I had my Commodore 64 before that--I just don't remember what year we got it. That Commodore was great. Best computer ever, at least through the lens of nostalgia.

3. Hype aside, which platform do you prefer: Mac or PC? Overall, I prefer the Windows PC. These days, the distinction is largely moot, of course. I'm kind of over Linux and open/free software; I'd rather just Get Stuff Done without having to screw around. The one advantage that the Mac OS has over Windows is its Unix underpinnings...but other than that I'd just rather use Windows. It's weird; people complain about Windows ME all the time, but I never had a problem with it. And people complain about Vista, but while I acknowledge that it's painful to develop for and test on, I have zero problems with it as a desktop OS.

4. Take the quiz: Are you a Mac or PC? Sigh.

You Are a Mac

You are creative, stylish, and super trendy.
You demand the best - even if it costs an arm and a leg.


5. How fair would you consider the quiz to be based on the responses? Not fair at all. "Do you get sick a lot" is a really loaded question in this instance. The worst computer virus attack I've ever had to clean up was Macintosh-based (the venerable nVir-A). And "Are you more educated and richer than the general population" is just ridiculous.

6. If money were no object, what brand of computer would you most likely purchase? Does Cray still make supercomputers? I don't know, if we're really talking about computers, I'd probably go for an IBM p-series with AIX, or a Sun Ultra 40 with Solaris. If we're talking about the Mac/PC dichotomy, then I'd probably go with a boutique brand like Falcon Northwest and load it up as much as possible. Their "bragging rights" system is nineteen grand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home