Strange Brouhaha

Friday, February 22, 2008

Haiku and Limerick time

This week, Mad Kane asks us to contemplate time. I probably would have written a haiku similar to hers, but now that that's out, I guess I'll have to try to be original. DARN IT!

First of all, I'm reminded of the famous limerick that goes

There was a young woman named Bright
Whose speed was much faster than light.
She set out one day
In a relative way,
And returned on the previous night.


Anyway, time is one of my favorite subjects. Is time really just there to keep everything from happening at once? Or is it some kind of benevolent force?

A philosopher,
Wiser than I am, once sang,
"Time is on my side."


"The Planet of the Apes" (the original; did you know that Rod Serling co-wrote the script?) is on TV right now; here's a limerick about that.

Taylor got into a scrape,
and was caught when he tried to escape.
As he hung in the net,
he snarled a threat:
"Get 'em off me, you damn dirty ape!"

Now, technically, since "Apes" is a time-travel movie, that could count as a limerick about time, couldn't it? Couldn't it?

Well, no, not really.

So here's one, it's based on an oldie but goodie about a man whose wife's overuse of a certain phrase has him ticked off.

Said the man to his wife, "I'll admit,
when you say 'Just a sec!', I could spit!
To its use I object!
No more secs! No more secs!"
And then sheepishly, "Well, just a bit."

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for joining in on this week's prompt. It's good to see you have some fun with the topic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43 PM  

  • Your first limerick is very clever (or should that be relatively clever?)

    Your last one really made me laugh!

    By Blogger Crafty Green Poet, at 8:02 AM  

  • this post was a joy to read from tip to toe... loved it all....

    By Blogger paisley, at 8:18 PM  

  • really enjoyed all three..very nice. Thank you

    By Blogger UL, at 9:40 PM  

  • I like that planet ape limerick - a fun read.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home