Strange Brouhaha

Sunday, December 10, 2006

You went WHERE?

Some of you may recall our semi-disastrous trip to Chicago in March to see the American Ballet Theatre. We, gluttons for punishment that we are, returned to Chicago this weekend for another round. It was Someone's Birthday, and we had quite an extravaganza.

Over the next few days, you can "look forward" to some field reports on the major events of the weekend: a hotel, a show, a store, and a museum. Fortunately, this time there were no breakdowns and no disasters. The drive to Chicago was, as always, a fairly enjoyable experience, we knew right where we were going (thanks in no small part to Google Maps), and we survived.

Here's a small taste of the photography you'll get. I took a bunch of pictures with my cell phone camera--and you can blame the Indian, not the arrow, for the quality--and we got quite a few shots on film as well.



(Yeah, this is the kind of quality you get from me. I'm no photographer. You're lucky that it's mostly straight. Actually, I couldn't get any further back; I was up against a wall when I took this picture.)

This absolutely gorgeous Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II was parked outside our hotel Saturday night. I felt like a bumpkin (this word, you will see it again) just walking past it with my Chicago hot dog. It was getting very little attention, and there were a lot of people passing by--I'm really lucky that there are no people in this shot. Why was it getting no attention? There was a new, generic-looking Maserati about a car-length away from it, and everybody was running to look at that instead.

This Rolls-Royce...THIS is a car!

Trip reports follow over the next few days.

2 Comments:

  • Couldn't you have gone to the other side of the car to take the photo? And I totally agree on the Maserati - there's a dealer(!) near my job, and they really, really look like nothing special.

    And Happy Birthday!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:52 PM  

  • Nope. The car was parked at the curb. The other side of the car was a busy street.

    I wish now that I had actually gone and made a spectacle of myself and gotten a shot of the Rolls' hood ornament.

    By Blogger Robert, at 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home