Strange Brouhaha

Friday, December 01, 2006

Thursday Threesome for Friday

I don't usually do the Thursday Threesome, but today's is about food and I can actually answer it. The way it works is that they come up with a phrase and then break it down into three parts. You'll see.


::Sweet Baby James::

Onesome: Sweet--
or sour? What type of sauces do you like on your dishes when you 'do Chinese'?

Twosome: Baby--
back ribs? ...or steak? Tofu? Chicken? It's your choice; what would you like for your next meal "out"?

Threesome: James--
town flood? What do flood your mashed potatoes with, gravy or butter? ...or do you like them plain?


Onesome: For me, eating Chinese food is not primarily about sauces. It's about the entire dish. In general, I prefer savory sauces over sweet ones, but my favorite thing growing up was Shrimp Canton, which is basically sweet-and-sour shrimp. I definitely miss the food from home, though; you can't get Crispy Gau Gee here.

Twosome: Well, if I could have absolutely anything, I'd go to Lam's Garden or somewhere else that's good in Honolulu. There was this place I used to go to when I worked for the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands that served a great five-spice chicken, plate-lunch style. Lines were always out the door. I went there enough that I was a "regular"--I'd go there again. Caspian Cafe, here in town, used to make a good Persian meatball; I wonder if they still do. Anyway, getting serious for a moment, for my next meal out, I would actually like to have breakfast. There are a couple of good breakfast places around here. I would have something simple, bacon and eggs and hash browns. There's nothing like breakfast.

Threesome: I like to eat mashed potatoes plain--however, the way I make 'em, with cream and butter mixed in, along with a crapload of roasted garlic, they've got enough flavor without needing to add anything. You put gravy on mashed potatoes I make, I kick your ass. It's like paying $30 for a steak and then putting ketchup on it.

3 Comments:

  • [Savannah]1) Savory. Whatever they tend to put on beef-mushroom-broccoli type dishes.

    2) Fantasy: Pizza Palace!!!! Realistic: Biaggi's.

    3) I like Rob's mashed potatoes plain, of course. Otherwise, a little gravy never hurt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:21 AM  

  • Oooh! Breakfast! Ask my wife - I make great eggs! Omelets or scrambled. Sauteed mushrooms, onions and green pepper, thin layer of egg heated at about the lowest temperature that will cool the egg and thin sprinkle of sharp cheddar. Folded in half and topped with a bit more sharp cheddar and maybe a small bit of finely chopped parsley. Yes, parsley! If I use green onion, I'll skip the parsley.

    Hashbrowns are very hard to make, in my opinion. I found a method that works pretty well, though. Using our Kitchen Aid shredder attachment, I'll run a bunch of potatos through it into a bowl of water. When I have enough, I soak up as much moisture as I can in a bunch of paper towel. I'll put a few tablespoons of butter into a cast iron pan and layer the potatos on. Sprinkle a bunch of salt and pepper for flavor and let it sit. That's the hard part. Letting it sit until the bottom layer gets all crusty. Flip it when the bottom is nice and crispy. I really enjoy cooking! Today, I made a beef barley soup with cubes of beef sirloin tip! Mmmmm!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 PM  

  • Ooops. I meant *cook the egg*, not "cool the egg" :-(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home