Strange Brouhaha

Monday, May 14, 2007

Let's keep the roll going

I've got weeks of backlog stored up; I'm thinking five or six posts a day for a while. (No I'm not.) Here's Take Me Back Tuesday.

1. What musical formats do you remember (CD, Cassette, LP etc)? 78 RPM record, 33 1/3 RPM LP, 45 RPM single, 12" single record, 8-track tape, reel-to-reel tape, cassette tape, CD, DAT, MiniDisc, SACD, DVD-Audio. And of course we've got MP3, WMA, AAC and Ogg Vorbis. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I've actually used in some way. There are a lot of other digital formats, but I only ever use them at work.

2. What was your favorite format 5 years ago? 10? What is it now? Ten years ago, five years ago, today...MP3. Not that I'm a Luddite or anything, but I'm familiar with exactly what I'll get with an MP3 at 192 Kbps, and I don't have the desire to sit around and listen to other formats and twiddle knobs until everything is okay. For example, when I tried Ogg Vorbis, I played around with it for a long time and could never come up with anything that sounded as good as an MP3, let alone a CD.

3. What was your first portable music player? What is your current portable music player? My first was probably a transistor radio, but the first one I remember was this bulky portable cassette player. My current player is an iPod.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home