Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Topical Tuesday

Topical Tuesday is giving the nod to Blog Action Day. Eliza says,

To celebrate Blog Action Day [yesterday] this week’s Topical Tuesday is once again about the environment. Global Warming is a very topical issue at the moment, and it is certainly one worthy of further consideration. So tell me dear readers, is global warming a natural or man made occurance?


Temperature change itself is natural and cyclical. In general, it's only to be expected that worldwide temperatures ebb and flow; if they didn't, there'd be no need to keep weather records.

But we're not helping, are we? I don't think it's possible to dispute that humanity has exacerbated the process, whether we're the primary cause or not. A lot of the "debate" about global warming centers around that issue, it seems to me, and it does so to the detriment of the underlying fact that warming is occurring and that we need to do something about it.

I propose this for those who think that humanity has nothing to do with it. As a gedankenexperiment, think about what happens when you stick ten people into a windowless room with no ventilation...like a conference room or an office. Or think about an unventilated office with eight or more computers, like my office at Persoft. (Hint: my office was HOT.) We've been venting waste heat into a closed system for centuries. It's bound to catch up to us sooner or later.

I'm not a scientist, though, so I'll leave that to someone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home