Strange Brouhaha

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Monday Madness for Tuesday

Here's today's Monday Madness. Yeah, technically it's Tuesday morning, but until I go to bed, it's still Monday. (Talk about power over time and space!)




1. From amaranth:
Name three people you would pick (and why) if you could choose who to be stranded on a deserted island with.

2. From julie:
What is your favorite genre of film and what is your favorite movie from that genre?

3. From tiffany:
Which country would you like to visit and why?

4. From wil:
What are you driving these days? What's it's (their) good and bad points? Would you buy another one, and why or why not?

5. From cindy swanson:
"Lost," "24," or both?

6. From lady starlight:
You've been very good this year. What should Santa bring you for Christmas? (the sky is the limit)


1. Well, we've done this before with a lot more choices, but assuming that I can't pick anyone from my family, I think I'll pick: Survivorman Les Stroud, because he can survive anywhere and would know what to do; Natalie Portman, because she's pretty and smart (Brooke Shields would work too) and would probably be able to hold a conversation; and someone else smart that I could talk to, like Woz.

2. Oook, this is hard. My favorite genre of movies is "good movies" and my favorite movie from that genre is probably either Stagecoach or The Searchers, and no, it's not really a coincidence that they're both Ford/Wayne collaborations.

3. I'd like to visit England. I'd like to visit there partly because I'm interested in the historical stuff and partly because it's the foreign country where I'd be most likely to understand what people are saying--and if I wanted to visit France or Germany, they're close by.

4. I'm driving a Ford Focus. The good: surprisingly roomy for a small car, good gas mileage, CD player, power windows and locks, passenger-side airbag, good pickup for a four-banger, not all crapped up with twelve years worth of accumulated garbage. The bad: I'm not a big fan of the color, we didn't get the power seats, no tachometer (a tach is useless to me, but it's nice to look at), the rearview mirror is in exactly the wrong place (a problem endemic to small cars, for me), wider enough than our old car that parking in the garage has become an adventure, lots of road noise at speed. I would buy another one. Whatever its shortcomings, it's a good car for the money.

5. Neither. I'll take Heroes and House, thanks.

6. Well, if the sky is the limit and I've been really good, I think Santa could leave a billion dollars under the tree this year. I'd carve out a small piece for myself and my family and use the rest to make the world a better place in whatever possible way.

Update: I added a title. Also, I realize that the whole conceit of Desert Island Companions is that you can pick whoever you want, but I find it kind of humorous that we think, "Well, naturally, these people would want to spend time with US!" Even on a desert island, where you think you'd have to spend time with the other castaways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home