Strange Brouhaha

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Limerick and Haiku time!

I have only barely blogged this week. I keep falling asleep. It's really annoying--I'm barely able to get the dishes done and open up a book before my toes start to curl (the sign that I'm going to fall asleep). Then I wake up at 12:30 and stagger off to bed, blogging undone.

Anyway, the limerick and haiku prompt this week is "walking". By the way, I like the title of the post: "Pedestrian Poems". Nice double-layer of meaning there. Certainly my doggerel is fairly pedestrian!

Walking is a very mechanical process, isn't it? I once saw walking described as a continuous controlled fall, which just seems like the perfect description--fall forward, stop yourself with your foot, and repeat, swinging your legs so that you're constantly moving forward.

Left foot, then right foot.
One in front of the other.
The miles disappear.

One year in college I visited my aunt and uncle for spring break. It was a nice visit; I read Whitley Streiber's "Communion" and had nightmares for a week. I think it was that visit, actually, that made me think that Madison wouldn't be a bad place to live.

Anyway, they had a dog, and I walked the dog one day. I'd never had a dog and didn't know much about them. They sure do some interesting things. This is a true story, except for the name of the dog.

Though I'd rather be taking a nap,
I'm walking my auntie's dog, Hap.
As Hap pulls on my arm,
I note with alarm
That she's eating some other dog's crap!

5 Comments:

  • the haiku is good... but the limerick is over the top!!!!!!

    By Blogger paisley, at 12:15 PM  

  • Wonderful! Your limerick made me laugh out loud! Thanks so much for participating in my "walking" prompt!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM  

  • Ohmigosh! The limerick is so darned funny! The 'ku is nifty, too and your prose is well done. Nice post!

    By Blogger Tumblewords:, at 3:15 PM  

  • I enjoyed this post very much, your haiku sits so nicely in the whole narrative and the limerick is priceless, plus it reminds me of when I used to take an aunt's dog for walks.

    By Blogger Crafty Green Poet, at 8:34 AM  

  • what an enjoyable post to the prompt... never really thought about walking other than it is soothing.. my dog appreciates it... limerick was hilarious

    By Blogger little wing writer, at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home