Strange Brouhaha

Monday, March 10, 2008

What's on your desk, part 2

I had fun cataloging my home desk. I'm sure it's not nearly as interesting to read as it is to do, but here's what's on my desk at work:


  • 2 20" widescreen flat panel monitors

  • Keyboard

  • Mouse

  • Left, center and right speakers for two sets of surround speakers

  • Volume control for one of the sets of speakers

  • Business card cube

  • Phone

  • Dell Optiplex GX260

  • LG DVD burner

  • Water cup

  • Cell phone

  • Five mini DVDs with raw footage of a dance concert

  • A 256 MB USB card

  • 2 Stacks of post-its (one is from Zippy's!)

  • Three BD-RE discs

  • A 1/8"-to-RCA stereo cable

  • A CD of a recording session that I helped with

  • 2 sharpies (1 red, 1 blue)

  • A straightened-out paper clip

  • A Windows Vista 64-bit install disc

  • A bootable CD for my test machines

  • A manual for a video camera

  • Three pens

  • A pencil

  • An amazon.com receipt

  • Performance review forms

  • Two spiral notebooks

  • A folder of resumes and interview notes

  • The January and March issues of "Software Test and Performance"

  • The March issue of "Better Software"

  • A brochure for the STAR EAST conference

  • A catalog of training courses from SQE

  • Perry, "Effective Methods for Software Testing"

  • Craig and Jaskiel, "Systematic Software Testing"

  • Duke Nukem 3D mousepad




And if you count my test machines and desk extension as being part of my desk...

  • A Line 6 GuitarPort

  • Another bootable CD

  • MDR-V700 Stereo headphones

  • Right rear surround speakers

  • Mackie DFX-12 mixer

  • Sony HDR-SR11 High definition video camera

  • Right-angle-ended SATA cable

  • 3 1/4" headphone adapters

  • Another stack of post-its

  • RCA stereo cables with pass-thru ends

  • 6-foot instrument cable

  • About 300 blank DVDs of various brands and types

  • 50 or so blank CDs

  • 5 or so BD-RE discs

  • The manual for the mixer

  • A mini Brewers helmet

  • Sunglasses

  • Pilot’s wings with my name



My work desk really does give a snapshot of all of the things I need to do and/or think about during the course of a typical work day. I don't feel like my home desk is so representative, but that's probably because it has less of a focused role. In other words, I go to my work desk to work--but my home desk serves multiple purposes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home